1. Gluten-Free food is becoming mainstream.
2. In becoming mainstream many Gluten- Free companies/products are popping up.
3. This should make products cheaper (but has not... yet).
4. Some products are awesome... and some need to be improved upon!
In response to my post my mother emailed me,
"Sometimes to find a prince, you have to kiss a few frogs."And she is entirely right. I even took her advice!
This week my little man was sick. Starting last weekend he hardly slept, for the first three days of the week he hardly slept, on Tuesday night he was up from midnight till 4am! He was cranky, he had a fever, he had snotty nose and at the tail end of the week he had a body rash. Needless to say by combining lack of sleep with the 30 minute commute to my girls school it was a long week for baby and mommy. Unfortunately for us, it was also a huge week for the girls' school. The girls' school had the school fundraiser of the year and meetings to plan events for my oldest daughter's class later in the year. I have been so happy to move to a school that has a highly involved parent community - so of course I was volunteering most the night at the main fundraiser, I signed on for the event planning, plus I promised two gluten-free cakes to the cake walk! All good intentions aside, I did not create time to actually make those cakes - not for lack of effort. I kept thinking I could find time, but my little man needed me more. As a result I had to indulge in the world of new gluten-free products and purchase some cakes for the cake walk. I was entirely grateful for the many companies popping up and creating ready made baked goods. Like tons of other parents I was able to rush out to my local Whole Foods and cheat, bringing pre-made, store bought cakes to the fundraiser. While I was out I found a new gluten-free Prince product this week.
Poparuba: A Denver based company founded by Kerri Gedert which aims to create healthy and fun gluten free, low sugar, low calorie treats.

Poparuba make Gluten-Free Petit Fours which are cool for the health conscious consumers. Poparubies are low in carbohydrates, low in sugar, high in fiber and are "calorie controlled" at 50 calories each.
I these because they are healthier than other treats available to gluten-free families, they are small enough to put into a purse, they are ready-made (no prep) AND, most importantly, they are yummy! These are four tiny little cake bites, that are definitely decadent. I found chocolate and lemon at our Whole Food Market and enjoyed them. One complaint - they are not cheap!
Now the fundraiser was a blast! We met a ton of wonderful and friendly families. I volunteered at three different booths and spent most the night busy - which I loved. I have definitely missed being highly involved in my children's' school activities, thus I felt right at home in the middle of the noisy festival atmosphere. We even won/bid on a new bike for Ramona. She was thrilled to bring it home and it gives us some nice future adventures coming up (bike riding on Colorado trails!) My man took care of the little man, who was feeling a bit better by the fundraiser and entirely better this weekend. In fact, little man decided to make up for lost time. He climbed all over the dog, the furniture and even tried to scale a wall to bring a hanging picture down (he did not succeed).
Happy Late Sunday Night!
Have a Great Week...

No comments:
Post a Comment